The MCIU Transition Services Program has been awarded the Pa Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education Competitive Integrative Employment Grant.
The purpose of the Competitive Integrated Employment Grant is to:
- improve competitive integrated employment outcomes for youth with disabilities;
- provide virtual and in-person work experiences, including but not limited to job shadowing, internships/practicums (paid/unpaid), cooperative education programs, apprenticeships, community-based work programs, and service-learning (unpaid), with job coaching as appropriate, for youth with disabilities with a preference for students at-risk of dropping out and/or youth who have difficulty obtaining employment, independently;
- establish sites that can serve as models for community-based competitive integrated employment for youth with disabilities; and
- actively involve The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR), County/Community-Based Behavioral Health, The Office of Intellectual Disabilities, Centers for Independent Living and other disability-specific support organizations during the development and implementation of the grant-related activities.
- provide Job Coach training to LEA staff on the responsibilities and competencies needed to support transition-aged students build work-related skills in community-based settings.
Numerous grant applications were submitted by LEAs from across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. All applications held merit and showed a commitment to establishing or expanding effective school-based integrated employment for students with disabilities. We would like to congratulate our Office of Student Services on this accomplishment!
For more information on our Transition Services Program, visit: Transition-Services