MontcoWorks NOW serves at-risk youth and young adults who reside in Montgomery County, are between the ages of 14-24, and are presented with a significant barrier to completing or advancing in education or obtaining employment.
MontcoWorks NOW provides comprehensive, year-round programs and services for eligible youth and young adults who are either in school, have left school without a diploma and are now motivated and re-engaged, or have graduated and are unemployed/underemployed.
MontcoWorks NOW programs and services (both in-house and through collaborative partners) include, but are not limited to:
- Supportive and case management services
- Academic tutoring and study skills training
- Job readiness and workplace etiquette workshops
- Various occupational skills training programs for in-demand industry sectors
- Paid and unpaid work experiences
- GED preparation classes
- Pre-apprenticeship programs
- Job shadowing
- Professional adult mentorships
- Leadership development opportunities
- Entrepreneurial skills training
- Industry and college tours
- Career fairs
- Mock interviewing and professional resume writing
CAREER EXPLORATION HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY
- Exposure to in-demand occupations through industry tours and job shadows.
- Guide youth in making appropriate decisions about education and training for careers.
hIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY
- Help youth re-engage in education that leads to the completion of a recognized high school equivalency.
- Basic education skills training and individualized academic instruction.
- Career readiness workshops to prepare youth for the workforce.
- Resume and cover letter preparation, interview skills, etc.
post secondary education
- Prepare youth with transition to postsecondary education
- Assist youth with college admissions applications (FASFA, Scholarships, and Grants).
training & certification programs
- Sponsor organized programs of study that provides specificc vocational skills and certifications.
- Hands on occupational skills training in high priority occupations.
- Provide paid and unpaid work experiences for youth throughout the year.
- Offer employment opportunities such as pre-apprenticeship programs, internships, and on-the-job training.
High school Equivalency
The Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma (CSSD) is a high school equivalency credential available to Pennsylvania residents who do not possess a high school diploma and who have met criteria specified in the Pennsylvania Code (22 PA Code §4.72).
The Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma may be achieved by passing the GED® test or the HiSET® exam or by completing the 30 College Credit Option.
ELIGIBILITY FOR A DIPLOMA:
- Must be a resident of Pennsylvania and at least 18 year of age. 16 and 17 year olds need an age waiver from the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Must not currently possess a secondary school diploma from the United States
- Must not be enrolled in a public, licensed private, registered accredited or licensed nonpublic secondary school
- Must have scored a passing score on a high school equivalency test in the same language OR have completed 30 semester hours of study at a U.S. accredited institution of postsecondary education
For expanding collaborations, mentorships, and to discuss MontcoWorks NOW program, please contact:
Student Services Assistant Director
Kendall Glouner-Zeamer began her career in education as a teacher in York County, Pennsylvania. She earned her Bachelor’s in Elementary Education from Millersville and Master’s in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from Temple University. Ms. Glouner-Zeamer has held the roles of assistant principal, principal and district level curriculum director in various districts. Currently, she is the Assistant Director for Program Development in the Office of Student Services and dedicates much of her time coordinating office-wide plans and projects to include professional development for staff at all levels for continuous improvement of services. Ms. Glouner-Zeamer also provides administrative leadership within the MCIU youth workforce development program, MontcoWorks NOW, and college and career readiness guidance for schools and districts in Montgomery County, PA.
Check out our latest episode of our MWN Industry Insights Series with Michele Boardman from AHEDD as she outlines the wide array of employment and related services provided for individuals with disabilities. @MCIU @mciu_oss @PACLMontCo
Thank you @mciu_anderson for welcoming our program and for being such a great collaborative partner in workforce development! https://t.co/sbXYFyNq7w
Ms. Deluca from @MontcoWorksNOW came to Anderson today to chat with our older students about the amazing supports and opportunities offered by the program! We are grateful for how it has helped so many of our students. @kyle_longacre @mciu_oss https://t.co/VvLcbe4ETQ